Thursday, February 7, 2013

TIMT: Order Out Of Chaos


I don't do so well when my "studio" is messy.  Studio in quotes because all of BabesterArts fits in a hall closet!  Because of the limited space available for stash, and for actual workspace, I tend to run a pretty tight ship.  Still, as anyone with a stash knows, things grow.  They multiply in the dark.  They sneak out of their beds at night and are found drunk in the garden the next day.  Or maybe that's just me.  ;-)  In any event, prepping for Homespun Yarn Party is in full swing here, and the only way to do that without going all-the-way-crazy is to keep things well-organized.


My first project was to take an inventory of what fibers I already have and in what colors so I'd know what I needed to shop for and what I need to dye.  The cats were particularly interested in this, as they're never allowed near the stash.  Since everything is in plastic bags (because I am terrified by the thought of moth infestations), I figured it wasn't a big deal to let my feline assistants monitor my progress.


My human assistant was far more helpful.  Husby helped me separate things by fiber and then sort them into piles by color.  Everything was already sorted by fiber, so it wasn't a terrible project.  It was more a matter of taking the 8 pieces of hand-dyed Polwarth and making 8 bags for them by color, etc.  Not a small task when you consider that I have 20-25 types of fiber on hand at any time (not counting locks- which are a whole 'nother project/post).


Tada!  Everything is now neatly tucked into boxes by color family: Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Blues, Purples, Pinks (because kiddo's favorite color is pink and so there simply MUST be pink, and lots of it), Browns, and Blacks & Grays.  It's wonderful.  Not only is it easy to grab and blend while making up batts, but it's super simple to monitor which colors are running low (Reds right now, as the watermelon project used quite a bit of them).  


Gratuitous shot of the firestar collection, just because.  As you can see, I've been dyeing a bit since my last post about the sparklies!  I threw a little chunk of firestar into the pot each time I dyed a sample of the new acid dyes, so now I have this awesome rainbow collection of sparkle to work with!


No comments:

Post a Comment